Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Magazine death

This week the American Magazine conference is taking place in San Francisco, just down the road from where I work. I have a free pass to attend, but I am choosing not to. Partly this is because I am crazy busy, and giving up a whole day seems impossible. However, more significantly, it is because I looked over the schedule of events and simply was not interested. 

Don't get me wrong, I love magazines and I think they can be a powerful ad medium, but I feel like I know everything there is to know. That sounds very arrogant, and perhaps what I really mean is there simply does not seem much opportunity for a game changing learning experience. Print is what it is. And this seems to be why magazines are struggling to connect with clients and with  media people. They feel old, are certainly cluttered and often expensive. So maybe next year, but I would not bet on it.  

No comments: