Monday, August 11, 2008

3D cinema and learned behavior

I listened to an NPR story yesterday about 3D technology and cinema attendance. Movie studios are betting big that the next generation of 3D will keep movies exciting, and widen the experience gap that in-home viewing that plasma screens, HD and Blu-ray have currently narrowed.

What was most interesting to me was the interview with a social psychologist. He offered a counter intuitive viewpoint that going to the movies has very little to do with the screen and audio fidelity. He spoke about how going to the cinema is a social and behavioral experience. It fits in with peoples needs to share, and also simply as a destination to go to. Physically having a place to go, a routine for our time, fulfills a basic need we humans have. Staying at home does not  always deliver. Therefore, the cinema chains should invest in bars, food and anything that makes the theater a destination over just better screen viewing.

I find this very interesting. Mass media audiences have fragmented, but total audience are not - in fact they are rising. Can brands create events, or experiences which tap these deeper psychological needs? I know that many events, concerts etc already do this, but my eyes were opened by the interview. I am going to read up on this subject and see what I can find.

No comments: